Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Krista's 6th and Josh's 18 month Birthday

March 23, 2010
6 years old!!
Who knew that a comb and mirror would be so exciting? :0)Hailey and Josh are always ready and willing to "help" Krista with her presents. Krista was a really good sport about it this year and didn't "freak out" every time someone touched one of her gifts. Well... one of the unfortunate effects of having a Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder is not mastering "permanence". So, whenever Hailey got excited about a present, Krista would say "here Hailey, you can have it". Ummm, that phrase means something VERY different to Hailey than it does to Krista. Needless to say, we have had quite a few battles since about "what is who's" - Sigh!
Every year, for one month, we have "consecutive age" kiddos...
Krista is 6, Tia is 7 and Zachy is 8!
"Tia attack!!"
Joshy - 18 months old
Such a sweet boy!! I can't believe how fast time goes...
"Ebenezer Cheeser"
OK, so following any event there is the inevitable "Krista confusion" of what actually happened. I wish that I could spend some time in Krista's head to find out exactly how things are "bouncing around" in there :0)
2 days after her birthday, Andrew went to the school early to pick her up so that I could take her to the Dr. for her "well-check" appointment. When Andrew walked into the classroom, Krista jumped up from her chair, got tangled up in her backpack that was on the floor by her feet, didn't notice, ran toward Andrew, tripped, went flying forward slamming her head into the door frame in the process. Her teacher (and Andrew) gasp, Krista gets up, gives a one syllable "laugh" and goes on like nothing happened (with her teacher rolling her eyes, amazed at yet another instance of Krista's lack of "pain receptors").
3 days after her birthday... Krista and Andrew having a conversation with a lady at Krista's Saturday program:
Krista - "I had a birthday, I am not 7 anymore"
Lady - "Oh, wow so now you are 8 years old?"
Krista - "Yep"
Andrew - "Um, Krista you just turned 6"
Krista (stated VERY "matter of factly") - "That's right, 6... It was Hailey's birthday"
Lady - Confused look on her face, decides to "let it go"
Krista - "I had a birthday cake with Cinderella on it"
Lady - "Cinderella, how fun!"
Andrew - "Umm, Krista it was Snow White"
Krista - "That's right, Snow White and I ate Hailey's name off the cake"
Andrew - "No Krista, you ate your name from the cake"
Krista - "That's right" (again very "matter of factly" as she runs off to play leaving Andrew shaking his head and the lady looking very confused).
I laughed so hard when he told me this story because we have conversations like this with Krista ALL THE TIME, the lady at the Treatment Center does not, so she got a little taste of "Krista's world" :0).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Never a dull moment at your house!
I love all those little ones!

Ok, pathetic...I'm SO excited when someone updates their blog...but do I update mine? I'll try to do better.

What will life be like at my house with only one child!?!?!